|STERLING & WELCH BUILDING 1215 EUCLID AVENUE CLEVELAND, OHIO|
J. Milton Dyer, Architect
|MARQUISE, STORE FRONT AND BRONZE ENTRANCE, THE STERLING WELCH CO.|
W. S. TYLER COMPANY
|In front of the Sterling and Welch Store, circa 1940's.|
|INNER COURT OF THE NEW STORE OF THE STERLING & WELCH CO.|
|INNER COURT OF THE STORE OF THE STERLING & WELCH CO.|
|1933 CHRISTMAS TREE|
Legend has it the tree grew a foot while inside the store.
|1936 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1940 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1952 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1954 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1955 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1958 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1959 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1959 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1960 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1962 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1966 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|1966 CHRISTMAS TREE|
|Their "Santaland" included a device where you could insert a coin and receive a gift that came down a slide, a train, and an enchanted forest display.|
|1967 CHRISTMAS TREE -THE LAST ONE|
The STERLING-LINDNER CO. was a combination of 3 smaller stores--the Sterling & Welch Co., the W.B. Davis Co., and the Lindner Co.--each of which was a leader retailer in its own specialty.
Built 1915, Robert D. Kohn, architect.
|Looking West at the corner of E. 12th Street and Euclid Avenue, late 1950,s - Hotel Statler(now the Statler Arms Apartments), Union Club and Sterling-Linder-Davis department store on right.|
|1255 EUCLID AVENUE|
Modernization underway for the opening of Lindner-Davis store in the former Higbee building, circa 1949.
In 1947 one of the nation's largest operators of department stores, the Allied Stores Corp. of New York, acquired Lindner & Davis. Two years later, it purchased Sterling & Welch. In 1949 the Lindner-Davis general department store opened in the remodeled Higbee building at Euclid Ave. and E. 13th St., adjacent to the Sterling & Welch store. Davis was dropped from the name in 1958. In the early 1960s, the firm felt that it was in a prime location downtown and decided not to establish suburban branch stores. Allied Stores then realized that without outlying stores, Sterling-Lindner was not profitable. The store closed in 1968 and the building was demolished.
|Euclid Ave and E 13th view of Sterling Welch building in Cleveland, Ohio, shortly before it was razed. The two store gray building on the NE corner of 13th/Euclid was the Cowell and Hubbard Jewelrs building. This intersection was the epicenter for Cleveland's carriage trade stores.|
|Note the SWC frieze.|
|The beautiful atrium was demolished to make way for an office building that never materialized. The steel pilings for the atrium were cut off and remain in the ground.|
At their peak, Cleveland's downtown department stores anchored a lower Euclid Avenue that ranked among the largest retail districts in the United States and was compared to New York's stylish Fifth Avenue.
After World War II, the growth of suburbs and shopping malls started to draw business away from downtown and Euclid Avenue. The department stores tried to compete, opening up suburban branches, but by the turn of the 21st century most of these local companies had been bought out by national chains, with their flagship downtown locations converted to other uses.
|HIGBEE BUILDING 1255 EUCLID AVENUE|
Later a fifth floor was added and the matching top trim eliminated.
Now known as the Sterling Building.
Founded in 1860 by Edwin Higbee and John Hower, Higbees was a simple two-man dry goods store originally known as Hower and Higbees. Following Howers death in 1897, the store incorporated as the Higbee Company.
|Higbee's became enshrined as a scene in the holiday film "A Christmas Story".|
The Van Sweringen brothers’ massive Cleveland Union Terminal project was the ultimate impetus for Higbee’s returning to Public Square in 1931. As a hub for both train travel and their Shaker Rapid Transit system, the brothers wanted to capitalize on the captive trafﬁc by incorporating a department store into the project. When the pair failed to lure any department stores, they solved their dilemma by simply buying Higbee’s and moving it there themselves.
|The home of Amasa and Julia Stone, 1255 Euclid Avenue, was completed in 1857.|
In 1857, Amasa Stone, a successful railroad entrepreneur and bridge designer, erected a 6,500-square-foot Italianate villa mansion. Eighteen years later, Stone planned and constructed a bridge spanning the Ashtabula Gorge, ignoring advice from his own engineers, who considered the design unsafe. The bridge ultimately collapsed in a windstorm, killing 151 train passengers unfortunate enough to be crossing at the time of its collapse.
The despondent Stone, attempting to cope with the bridge disaster, failing health, the accidental drowning of his only son and a financial panic that ruined three companies he controlled, fired a bullet through his heart while sitting in a bathtub in his Euclid Avenue mansion. Samuel Mather and his wife, Flora Stone Mather (one of Amasa's daughters), lived in the home until Flora died in 1909. At the time of her death, Flora had nearly completed her participation in the design of what would have been her next residence, the plush Mather mansion still standing on the Cleveland State University campus. After the Stone residences demolition in 1910, the Sterling Welch building was built joined by the new Higbee Company building.